Monday 30 December 2013

Tom's Theatre Shows of the Year 2013

1. True West
Written by Sam Shepard
Directed by Phillip Breen
Citizen's Theatre, Glasgow, October/November

The only show I saw twice this year. I did a write up on Sam Shepard's Q & A on the last night.



2. Arrivals and Departures
Written and directed by Alan Ayckbourn
Stephen Joseph Theatre, Scarborough, August



3. Untold Stories: Hymn and Cocktail Sticks
Written by Alan Bennett
Directed by Nadia Fall and Nicholas Hytner
Duchess Theatre, London, April



4. Time of My Life
Written and directed by Alan Ayckbourn
Stephen Joseph Theatre, Scarborough, August



5. The Low Road
Written by Bruce Norris
Directed by Dominic Cooke
The Royal Court, London, April



6. A Respectable Widow Takes to Vulgarity
Written by Douglas Maxwell
Directed by Orla O'Laughlin
Oran Mor, Glasgow, February



7. The Commission
Written by Steven Dick
Directed by Pete Collins
Oran Mor, Glasgow, March



8. How to Catch a Cat Burglar
Written by Clare Shepard and Kenny Boyle
The Old Hairdressers, Glasgow, March

9. Each of Us
Written by Ben Moor
Directed by Erica Whyman
Pleasance Upstairs, Edinburgh, August

10. O Campeao Mundo Ocidental (The Playboy of the Western World)
Written by J.M. Synge
Directed by Jorge Silva
Melo Teatro Nacional, Lisbon, May

As the production was entirely in Portuguese I can't confidently say it was top drawer, but I enjoyed the experience and it did get a standing ovation at the end of the 90 minutes.

Special Mention

The Audience 
Written by Peter Morgan
Directed by Stephen Daldry

When I was in London in April I was quoted £200 for a ticket. I thought better of paying that. Instead I saw it in Cineworld in June. I thoroughly enjoyed it and had I actually seen it in the theatre I'm sure it would have been one of the best shows of the year.

No comments: